Thursday, July 16, 2009

the Power of Perseverance

i love this Scripture....

"He who has BEGUN a good work in you WILL CONTINUE IT until the DAY OF CHRIST." Phil. 1:6

we all come to moments in life where we face a mountain thats higher than any we've faced before; a trial, tribulation, or hardship that's like none other. these are the defining moments in life that reveal who and what we are truly living for.

after all, it's not what happens on the first day of marriage that matters, but where you are on the last. as wonderful as it is, it's not the first day of our childrens lives that matters most, but it's where they are on their last day on this earth that reveals who they are and who they are living for.

the Apostle Paul in writing this letter to the church at Philippi reminded us of this. he said it's not how you begin that's the most important, it's trusting in God to continue his work in us UNTIL THE DAY OF CHRIST; where we are on the last day is most important.

i recently have had two good friends go through difficult times simultaneously. both were married and had been married for years. one had recently had his wife leave after confronting her about an online affair she was having. the other found out her husband had had a girlfriend for over a year.

ive been able to watch how these two are handling their current hardships, and ive found that they are handling these hardships very differently.

my one friend has given in to sin. he's drinking, given in to sexual immorality, and has surrounded himself with people that partner with him in these works of darkness. he has started to implode and has stopped persevering through his trials. my friend is choosing not to allow Christ "to continue the good work" that He started in his life.

my other friend is handling her hardship 180 degrees differently. i recently connected with her on Facebook and heres what she wrote me:

"My Husband has a girlfriend and has had one for a long time. I believed we could get past it, we went to marriage counseling.... we did individual therapy.... There comes a point when enough is enough. I believe deep down he is a great guy who has made and continues to make awful choices. I (recently) filed for divorce. We will never work unless he believes in God. He said he wants to believe in God but just can't.

I KNOW that God has fantastic things in store for me and my little ones. There have been lots of little bumps in the road, but I totally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I appreciate all the new doors that are opening up for my family.

I have been doing a lot of house cleaning... I am only keeping the positive, God-loving people in my life. I try to read the Bible and Joel OSteen and journal daily to keep me focused and on the right path. It is incredibly easy to go down the other road. I've been there, done that, its not for me!"

notice the difference.....one is allowing Christ to continue the work that He started in them, while one is not. one is allowing their current hardship to define their lives, while one has turned their hardship into their "defining moment". she is allowing Christ to cause her to "persevere".

Perseverance is the gift of God to get us from the "first day" to our "last day". it's our partnering and surrendering to God in the middle of our most difficult day to allow God to finish what He's started.

the enemy loves to tell us that our best days are behind us. let me tell you that God says your best days are still ahead.

turn those hardships into defining moments. by partnering with Christ and allowing Him to continue working in us in the midst of our hardships, we become people who persevere by God's strength and grace.

may the power of Christ be with you all. Christ is the power to persevere.

No comments: