Wednesday, July 1, 2009

extraordinary encounters with God

remember back to the last time you had an extraordinary encounter with God.

think about your feelings in the midst of that encounter. were you burdened with the weight of your shortcomings? did you feel as though you werent worthy to be in His Presence? maybe you were so concerned with receiving an answer to prayer that you didn't enjoy God's Presence as you could've.

whenever i've experienced the Presence of God during worship or prayer in an extraordinary encounter, i've known all of these things; feelings of inadequacy, a broad view of my weaknesses, and an inability to transfer focus from my needs to God.

however, as ive went deeper into His Presence, these things begin to shed away. one by one, they begin to be thrown off by the power of His Presence.

i realize that im His son, and that my sins are washed away. i begin to feel His heart of love for me.

i realize that He is my strength, and it's by Him that i will overcome our my own weaknesses. i begin to feel His heart of love for me.

i realize that He is the loving and strong Shepherd who is able to take care of everyone one of my needs without my assistance. i begin to feel His heart of love for me.

see, as we draw near, we begin to "bend beneath the weight of His wind and glory."* the concerns and fears we have are swallowed up by the gulf that is His grace. i realize that i had been worried about things that were in the Hand of the Father when i am in His Presence.

then i'm hushed.

i find that at certain points when im in Gods Presence that i can think, do, or say almost nothing.

it's at this point that i realize that i'm encountering the love of God. nothing else matters in this moment. there are no other feelings to feel, no other words to say.

i stand weightlessly on my own two feet, as the wind of His Presence and grace overcome me like a hurricane.

how He loves us.

No comments: